Join Macarthur Astronomical Society
We welcome new members into our friendly Society. Ownership of optical equipment is not essential. All you need is an enquiring mind and a love of the night sky.
We have members who are experienced and we have members who are just starting out in astronomy; also many in between.
Membership benefits and privileges
- The loan of astronomical observing equipment.
- Purchase of some astronomical aids at discount prices.
- Purchase of books and other MAS merchandise at discount prices.
- Regular access to monthly meetings.
- Regular guest speakers, including elite professional astronomers and experienced amateurs.
- The monthly electronic journal 'Prime Focus' with interesting articles and observing data.
- Monthly access to members observing field nights at our two dark sky sites.
- Access to our Stargard observing site at no additional charge.
- Low cost entry to our Forest observing site.
- Extended website access.
- Access to the Members Forum on the website.
- Private Messaging (PM) facility, to directly contact other members and receive messages from the President.
- Sharing your common interest in astronomy with others.
- Access to members with a wealth of expertise in various aspects of amateur astronomy.
- Telescope 'workshop' evenings.
- Advice on purchasing a telescope, mount, eyepieces and other accessories.
- Advice on setting up your observing equipment.
- Advice on using your equipment.
- Advice on maintaining your equipment.
- Advice on upgrading your equipment.
- The Society's NSW Police registration, negating the need for individual registration of a member's laser pointer with the Police.
- Annual membership identity card.
- Name tag to display at meetings.
- Access to public observing nights without the need to book.
- Members who renew membership on time avoid paying another joining fee.
- Membership fee discounts for families, students and pensioners.
- Subsidised excursions.
- Free display of members astronomical images, on website and/or on collaborative DVD.
Annual Membership Fees in AU$
New membership fees that applied for 2012-13 will remain at the same level for 2013-14:
|Joining Fee (new members - see below)
- All fees are in Australian dollars and are non-refundable.
- The Joining Fee applies to all new membership applications.
- Memberships are due for renewal on 1st March annually.
- The MAS Management Committee will determine eligibility for membership.
- The Society depends upon membership fees for funds to continue it's activities.
- Members who renew their membership within the time provided each year only pay the Joining Fee once.
- Late fees will attract another joining fee.
Downloading the MAS Application Form
Option 1: Mail the form and cheque
Print the form, complete, sign & send it along with your cheque or money order (including joining fee) to the address below:
Macarthur Astronomical Society
PO Box 17
Please fill out the form carefully and clearly (especially e-mail addresses), as the details will be retained for our records and used for communications.
Option 2: Bring the form and cheque to the next meeting
Print the form, complete, sign and hand it, together with cash, cheque or money order to the MAS Treasurer at the next monthly meeting.
Option 3: Pay by PayPal and post the form
Print the form, complete and sign it.
You may then pay electronically (using the Shop facility on the menu at the top of the page) but please clearly identify the payment with your name and the purpose of the transaction. This option will cost slightly more, due to PayPal charges.
You must then immediately post the membership form to the Society's mail box.
Your application cannot be considered until we have received both your payment and your membership application form.
Your membership application will be put to the Management Committee at it's next monthly meeting. Following this you will be contacted and advised if your membership has been accepted. Your membership commences at this date of formal acceptance.
We try to respond by e-mail to new applications as quickly as we can but if you have not heard from us within twenty-one days, please contact the Secretary at email@example.com
You are invited to attend our monthly meetings whilst waiting for membership approval.
New members are politely requested to note:
- A Joining Fee of $10.00 must be included with your payment.
- Even if you pay your initial membership by PayPal, you must still submit a membership form (by post or electronically) as well.
- MAS contact with members between meetings is predominantly based on the website and e-mail. We try to avoid using the postal system.
- If applying for family membership, please provide a separate e-mail address for each person (if possible).
- Membership is subject to formal acceptance by the Management Committee at it's next meeting.
A discounted membership fee is available for families. Eligibility for family membership is limited to parents and student children under the age of eighteen years. Voting rights are limited to two adults.
If you feel unable to join MAS but would like to make a donation towards the Society's costs, please go to our Donations Page.
Membership renewals are due on 1st March annually. Please pay either:
- To the MAS Treasurer at the next meeting; or
- By PayPal via the MAS Shop; or
- By cheque to PO Box 17, Minto, NSW 2566.
Members renewing need not submit a form with their renewal payment - but please do so if any of your contact details have changed.
Membership Renewal Timetable
Membership renewal reminders are initiallly sent out.
End of MAS financial year.
Membership renewals due.
Last opportunity to rejoin without having to pay a $10.00 rejoining fee.
Non-renewed memberships expunged.
For further information regarding:
- Membership forms.
- Submissions of forms and/or fees.
- Eligibility for membership.
- Benefits of membership.
- Lack of response to your application within 21 days.
- Membership privileges prior to committee acceptance of applications.
please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to PO Box 17, Minto, NSW 2566.
Please note the mail box is generally cleared every 7-10 days.