• abana

  • abana

  • abana

  • abana

  • abana

  • welcome to

    macarthur astronomical society

  • observe

    Astronomers use scientific observation to learn about the Universe we live in. It's a beautiful place and, as a group of keen amateur astronomers, M.A.S. members have it as their common interest. We observe from two southern Sydney locations.

  • photograph

    Along with our "visual" observers, we have a group of dedicated astrophotographers within our ranks. This group find that photographing deep sky objects with high-quality cameras brings out the colour which your own eyes are unable to detect. See our photographs and you'll want to take your own.

  • educate

    Come to a Macarthur Astronomy Forum evening, held at UWS Campbelltown, to hear talks given by Australian and international professional astronomers as well as from amateurs with interests in their own specific fields. Entry is free for all.

  • events

    M.A.S. members are deeply committed to sharing our combined knowledge of, and love for, the night sky and the science of astronomy. We hold public open nights during the year - keep watching out for "What's On".

MAS Logo 2009

The Document Archives of Macarthur Astronomical Society.

Minutes of the Management Committee Meetings of Macarthur Astronomical Society.

If any person has copies of minutes which are not linked below, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Date of meeting format = year-month-day.

xx = day not recorded.

 

2019

2019-01-07 2019-02-04 2019-03-04   2019-04-01  2019-05-06  2019-06-03
2019-07-01 2019-08-05  2019-09-02       

 

2018

2018-01-08 2018-02-05 2018-03-05 2018-04-04 2018-04-30 2017-06-04
2018-07-02 2018-08-06 2018-09-03 2018-10-02 2018-11-05  2018-12-03

 

2017

na 2017-02-06 2017-03-06 2017-04-03  2017-05-01 2017-06-05
2017-07-10 2017-08-07 2017-09-04 2017-10-09 2017-11-06 2017-12-04

 

2016

2016-01-04 2016-02-01 2016-03-07 2016-04-05 2016-05-09 2016-06-19
2016-07-03
2016-08-01 2016-09-05 2016-10-05 2016-11-08 2016-12-05

 

2015

2015-01-05 2015-02-02 2015-03-02  2015-04-13 2015-05-03 2015-06-01
2015-07-06 2015-08-03 2015-09-07 2015-10-08 2015-11-02 2015-12-07

 

2014

2014-01-xx 2014-02-03
2014-03-03 2014-04-03 2014-05-05 2014-06-02 
2014-07-07 2014-08-04  2014-09-01 2014-10-13 2014-11-10 2014-12-01

 

2013

-   2013-02-04   2013-03-04   2013-04-08   2013-05-06  2013-06-03
  2013-07-01   2013-08-05   2013-09-02 -   2013-11-04  2013-12-02

 

2012

-  2012-02-06  2012-03-05 2012-04-02  2012-05-14 2012-06-04
2012-07-02
2012-08-06 2012-09-03 2012-10-01 2012-11-07 2012-12-03



2011

2011-01-05
 2011-02-02  2011-03-02 2011-04-06 2011-05-04  2011-06-01
2011-07-04 2011-08-01 2011-09-05 2011-10-05 2011-11-07 2011-12-12

 

2010

-
2010-02-03
 2010-03-03
 2010-04-07
 2010-05-05
2010-06-02
2010-07-07
2010-08-04
2010-09-01
- 2010-11-03
2010-12-01

 

2009

 2009-01-12  2009-02-02 2009-03-02  2009-04-06  2009-05-06  2009-06-03
 2009-07-01  2009-08-05
2009-08-26  2009-10-07  2009-11-04 2009-12-02

 

2008

-   2008-02-12   2008-03-03  2008-04-07    2008-05-05  2008-06-02
 2008-07-07   2008-08-04   2008-09-01   2008-09-29   2008-11-03   2008-12-01

 

2007

- 2007-02-07 2007-03-07 2007-04-04 2007-05-01 2007-06-05
2007-07-10 2007-08-07 2007-09-04  - 2007-11-06 2007-12-04

 

2006

2006-02-06 2006-03-06 2006-04-03 2006-05-01 -
2006-07-03 2006-08-07 2006-09-04 2006-10-02 2006-11-06 2006-12-04

 

2005

 - 2005-03-07 2005-04-04 2005-05-02 2005-06-06
2005-07-04 2005-08-01 2005-09-05 2005-10-04 2005-11-04  2005-12-05

 

2004

2004-02-02 2004-03-01 - - -
2004-07-05 2004-08-02 - 2004-10-11 2004-11-01 -

 

2003

- 2003-02-03 2003-03-03 2003-04-07 2003-05-05 2003-06-02
2003-07-07 2003-08-04 - 2003-10-13 2003-11-10 -

 

2002

- 2002-02-04 2002-03-04 2002-04-08 2002-05-06 -
2002-07-01 2002-09-02 2002-10-04 2002-11-04 -

 

2001

- 2001-02-xx - - 2001-05-05 2001-06-04
2001-07-02 - 2001-09-03 - 2001-11-05 -

 

2000

- - - 2000-04-10 2000-05-04 2000-06-05
- 2000-08-07 2000-09-03 - - -

 

1999

- 1999-02-02 - - 1999-05-04 -
- - 1999-09-06 1999-10-11 - -

 

1998

- - 1998-03-03 1998-04-07 1998-05-05 1998-06-02
- - - - - -

 

1997

- 1997-02-24 - 1997-04-07 1997-05-05 1997-06-03
1997-07-01 - - 1997-10-07 1997-11-04 -

 

1996

- 1996-02-05 - - 1996-05-06 1996-06-03
1996-07-01 1996-08-06
1996-09-xx 1996-10-xx - -

 

Further MAS Archive Documents and information are available by clicking these links:

AGM Minutes Archive
Annual Reports Archive
Prime Focus Magazine Archive  
Newsletter Archive 
Management Committees Since Formation 
History

 

 

 mas logo black on clear 300px

MACARTHUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

 

Minutes of the MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Held at Wivenhoe Village Clubhouse, Hollyhock Avenue, Kirkham

(host Mike Nicholas).

 

PO Box 17 MINTO NSW 2566

Wednesday 4th April 2018 at 7.30pm

 

Attending: Tony Law, Carol McVeigh, Henry Swierk, Barry Moore, Richard Curley, John Rombi, Mike Nicholas, Ray Armstrong, Andy Milton.

Apologies: Stewart Grainger

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 OPENING OF MINUTES AND APOLOGIES: meeting opened at 7:31pm

2 ADOPTION OF MINUTES for March 2018 Proposed by Barry Moore

seconded by John Rombi, passed

3 BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES:

4 REGULAR BUSINESS

4.1 Treasurer’s Report: Richard Curley.

The accounts have been audited by Graeme Bellamy and are in good order. A detailed report has been submitted for the AGM this month.

Approximately $7240.00 in bank accounts and cash in hand

$21,000 in term deposit, total $28,240.00

Insurance annual payment has been paid ($784.38), awaiting a copy of the payment by email.

The email for this notice has to be updated to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PO Box annual payment is due $127

    1. Membership: Henry Swierk

New Members: 3 new who are Wayne Sanday, Mark Brackenbury, Howard Pew. Graeme Bellamy has been awarded an Honorary Membership.

Membership at the end of March: 107 members in total including 6 Hon. 3 Assoc.

Renewals for 2018 have been sent to all members by email, 85 members have renewed.

Currently 23 members have still to renew but 3 of these have indicated they are resigning.

    1. Merchandise: Stewart Grainger – absent but provided the following report.

Drinks at Bunnings BBQ $64

Jan Donations $ 26

Feb Donations $ 17.65 Sales $78

March Donations $ 2 Sales $40

Total $ 227.65

Ann Tate donations $61.60

Total Cash to bank including all donations is $289.25

The treasurer has requested, “Tea Money” jar float and report for next meeting (action to Frank)

      1. Red light torches are now on sale for $10.

      2. President requested we all push the sale of merchandise to members and also wear our t-shirts and other items to meetings

    1. General Business

      1. This month’s forum is April 16, ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2018, guest presenter is unavailable. Tony will be showing pictures from our previous members tours or similar.

      2. Next month’s forum Mon May 21st is speaker Lee Spitler, Senior Lecture at Macquarie University and the Australian Astronomical Observatory in Sydney.

      3. Macastro brochure is being finalised by Tony and Allen.

4.5 The Forest

Next: 13/14/15 April

Next: 18/19/20 May (note this coincides with the Parkes member’s trip)

    1. Stargard

Next: 21st April

Next : 12th May

4.7 Public Outreach

4.7.1 Earth Hour 6pm- 9.30pm Sat 24th Campbelltown Arts centre. Thanks to Mike Nicholas, Roger Powell, Greg Bradford, Dave Manning, John Rombi

4.7.2 Glenfield Scouts, Mon 9th April- Thanks to Henry, Dave, Mike and Tony for

4.7.3 MDSI: Sustainable living & Natural Environment day. To be held on the Saturday 14th of April in Macarthur Heights. We would love if anyone from the society were able to attend and have a little stall to discuss astronomy, the society and possibly feature the solar telescopes that you mentioned. Would also be a great opportunity to have a tin for donations etc. To be held at the Garden Of Light in Macarthur Heights

4.7.4 MDSI (Caitlin facilitator from Manganaro Macarthur Heights Community Development unit – Macarthur Diversity Services Initiative) is running a joint DOMES events on Sat 28April, Sat 26 May, Sat 21 July and Sat 15 Sept 2018. July 21 will be called “Mars Night” update. A port-a-loo and sausage sizzle will be run each night

4.7.5 Camden Library public night for Wed 20 June 2018, also Photographers of the month New photos for displays are needed due to deterioration, submit to Tony Law by April 1 deadline for printing. Camera House to be approached to see if they can print. Border to be simpler than previous photos. Members are to submit photographs ASAP. Carol has offered to get another quote as well.

4.7.6 Saturday, 05 May - illuminARTe Wollondilly, at Picton. Was agreed to (we attended last year) details to follow

4.7.7 Cobbitty Scout Hall: Joey Scouts Mob (via Kerry Wallace) requested for astronomy night. Approved for Mon 25th June. Approved. Help needed. 2 or 3 people required

4.7.8 Invite from Marc Noakes to attend the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) EXPO meeting for Tues June 26th 2018. Will be held in daytime at Tahmoor public school. Theme “Accent on Achievement”. What is required is a 30min explanation of a possible lesson that teachers could use with public school students. 50 teachers have already registered to attend. Committee discussed and approved. Help needed.

Mike Nicholas is pursuing Bargo, Picton and Tahmoor schools through Marc Oakes as the liaison person.

4.7.9 The 16 July 2018 Macarthur Astronomy Forum “Special Event” Amy Shira Teitel – more info to be announced. Tony to update

4.7.9 Mon 23 to Sat 28 July, “One Giant Leap” function will be held at WSU. More to follow. Tony to update

4.7.10 National Science week 2018 (11-19 August) – Monday 20 August, our normal monthly Forum with Ed Kruzins.

4.11.11 Broughton Anglican College 8 members have expressed an interest in mentoring students- meeting at the school on Wednesday 11 April - liaison Mike Nicholas. Mike is coordinating and tabled several outlines of the process at the April committee meeting for distribution to those involved as mentors. Carol has offered to Mentor the Mentors. Students will present their final reports during STEM week on the Aug 14th.

4.8 Members’ Trips

4.8.1 Parkes visit - Dave Manning is organiser. Date set for 18,19,20 May. 19 people going in. Car pooling in own cars.

4.8.2 Murchison Radio Astronomy Observatory WA - 5th to 6th Octobter 2018 – Possible visit depending on numbers. See Macastro web page for more info.

4.8.3 China 11th May to 23nd May 2019, 12 nights, 13 days: Approx Cost $3500 inc airfare Draft itinerary has been determined. Tony Law is organising. Roberto Soria is our in-house contact at the Chinese observatories. China Odyssey tours are possible tour leaders, Breakfast and lunches are included. 18 people have registered their interest.

4.8.4 JPL July 2021 Estimate $4000 needs to be increased. Will promote and ask interested members to start saving in our “trip” bank account. Could be combined with a Space X launch. On going item .

4.9 Fundraising – Letter from Premier Gladys Berejiklian advised that our application (via Chris Patterson MP) for a grant has been refused. No response applications to Jai Rowell MP, Angus Taylor MP or Camden Council. A new application has been submitted to Macarthur Science Hub

Discussions to be held with Mt Annan Science Hub, Christian Ekardt - Tony

4.10 Website, Facebook

We have a link and countdown clock to the Total Solar Eclipse event on 22nd July 2028, Sydney on our Macastro website.

4.11 Publicity – Barry Moore

4.11.1 Publicity for the next forum (Apr 16th) has been sent to Advertiser and Chronicle “what’s on” pages.

4.11.2 Secretary will forward minutes as soon as they are approved by committee to Roger (webmaster) for member’s perusal. On going item

4.11.3 Mail box was has been checked each week – notice to close the PO Box received 9/4/2018 – bill still to be paid.

4.12 Correspondence received. Letter from Premier Gladys Berejiklian

4.13 Succession planning

Nominations for committee positions are as follows:-

President (Tony Law, by Richard Curley, sec Barry Moore)

VP (Stewart Grainger nomination Withdrawn 9/4/2018, due to illness),

Secretary (Barry Moore by Tony Law, sec Carol McVeigh),

Treasurer (Andy Milton by Tony Law, sec Richard Curley),

Membership Officer (Henry Swierk by Carol McVeigh, sec Richard Curley),

Committee position1 (John Rombi by Barry Moore, sec Stewart Grainger,

Committee position2 (Ray Armstrong by Tony Law, sec Barry Moore) 

Carol McVeigh and Richard Curley will be stepping down at the 2018 AGM.

Tony Law has indicated that he will step down at the 2019 AGM.

Barry Moore is indicating that he will step down at the 2019 AGM.

5. NEW BUSINESS - nil

6. NEXT COMMITTEE MEETING: Mon 30th April 2018 at Andy’s place, 55 Wyangla Cres, Leumeah

7. CLOSE OF MEETING 10.55pm

Minutes Taken By Barry Moore 4 April 2018

Written by Secretary Barry Moore on 9/4/2018

 

 

MACARTHUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

 

Minutes of the MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Held at 33 Hickson Circuit Harrington Park

 

PO Box 17 MINTO NSW 2566

Monday 5th March 2018 at 7.30pm

 

Attending: Tony Law, Carol McVeigh, Henry Swierk, Stewart Grainger, Barry Moore, Richard Curley.

Apologies: John Rombi, Mike Nicholas

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 OPENING OF MINUTES AND APOLOGIES: meeting opened at 7:31pm

2 ADOPTION OF MINUTES for Februrary 2018 Proposed by ­­­­­Barry Moore

seconded by Richard Curley, passed

3 BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES:

4 REGULAR BUSINESS

4.1 Treasurer’s Report: Richard Curley.

Approximately $ 5000 in bank accounts and cash in hand

$21,000 in term deposit, total $26000

There have been 53 bank transactions and 85 members have paid (includes family members)

The bank statements are being audited for the AGM in April.

Insurance annual payment has been paid ($784.38), awaiting a copy of the payment by email.

PO Box annual payment is due by Mar 31 $127

    1. Membership: Henry Swierk

New Members: 2 (Karyn Bradford , Izabella Ross).

Membership at the end of 2017/18: 128 members in total. 5 Hon. 3 Assoc. 120 rest.

Membership grew by 23 over the last 12 months. 37% are Full members, 32% Family, 21% pensioner/seniors, 3% students and 7% assoc/Hon.

Renewals for 2018 has been sent to all members by email, 85 members have renewed.

Current membership:    85 members.

    1. Merchandise: Stewart Grainger – receipts books are currently being checked.

Donations $ 17.65, Sales $27

      1. 10 Red light torches have been ordered by Tony Law for sale to members.

      2. The donated ETX telescope has been repaired.

    1. General Business

      1. This month’s forum is Mar 19, 2018 Dr Luke Barnes (Uni of Syd) Title is The Universe and Entropy: The top 10 things to do before the heat death of the universe.

      2. Next month’s forum Mon April 16th is our ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING – election of new committee

      3. Tony has spoken to Allen and will follow up (Macarthur Astronomical Society Brochure)

4.5 The Forest

Last: 16/17 Feb 2.5 hours of any seeing only

Next: , 16/17 March

4.6 Stargard

Last: 10 Feb - Held on following wed 3-4 hrs but not good

Next : 10 March

4.7 Public Outreach updates

4.7.1 Astronomy in the Gardens at MT Annan Botanical Gardens Fri Feb 23. Was Clouded out

4.7.2Rebecca Hay, 1st Camden Scouts has requested a visit for 30 scouts. Date advised and approved is 7.30pm March 1st at The Oaks on a (Thursday night). Good time but cloudy

4.7.3 Earth Hour 6pm- 9.30pm Sat 24th March. Ideally four telescope are required at the Campbelltown Arts centre.

4.7.4 Carnes Hill Library (Jessica Bruce) Requesting assistance for an event 12 April 2018. They need a couple of people for 1.5 - 2 hrs. Approved. John and have offered to attend

4.7.5 MDSI: Sustainable living & Natural Environment day. It is now going to be held on the Saturday 14th of April in Macarthur Heights. We would love if anyone from the society were able to attend and have a little stall to discuss astronomy, the society and possibly feature the solar telescopes that you mentioned. Would also be a great opportunity to have a tin for donations etc. To Be held at the Garden Of Light in Macarthur Heights

4.7.6 MDSI (Caitlin facilitator from Manganaro Macarthur Heights Community Development unit – Macarthur Diversity Services Initiative) is running a joint DOMES events on Sat 28April, Sat 26 May, Sat 21 July and Sat 15 Sept 2018. They are also looking into a public toilet being left open behind the sales office. July 21 will be called “Mars Night” update. A port-a-loo and sausage sizzle will be run.

4.7.7 Camden Library public night for Wed 20 June 2018, also Photographers of the month New photos for displays are needed due to deterioration, submit to Tony Law by April 1 deadline for printing. Chris Malikoff to be approached to see if he can print and what his cost would be to do this. Border to be simpler than previous photos. Members to submit photographs ASAP. Approved. Help needed.

4.7.8 Cobbity Scout Hall: Joey Scouts Mob (via Kerry Wallace) requested for astronomy night. Approved for Mon 25th June. Approved. Help needed. 2 or 3 people required

4.7.9 Invite from Marc Noakes to attend the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) EXPO meeting for Tues June 26th 2018. Will be held in daytime at Tahmoor public school. What is required is a 30min explanation of a possible lesson that teachers could use with public school students. 50 teachers have already registered to attend. Committee discussed and approved. Help needed. Mike is coordinating

Mike Nicholas is pursuing Bargo, Picton and Tahmoor schools through Marc Oakes as the liaison person.

4.7.10 The 16 July 2018 Macarthur Astronomy Forum “Special Event” Amy Shira Teitel – more info to be announced.

4.7.11 on Mon 23 to Sat 28 July, One Giant Leap function will be held at Macquarie University. More to follow.

4.7.12 National Science week 2018 (11-19 August) – Monday 20 August, our normal monthly Forum as possible time for a “Public Event” with Ed Kruzins. We need to raise $1500 to run these events. Jai Rowell has been contacted for an appointment re funding.

4.11.13 Broughton Anglican College has expressed an interest for assistance in a astrophotography project with a student. Ongoing update

4.8 Members’ Trips

4.8.1 Parkes visit. John Sarkissian from Parkes observatory has suggested a Macastro trip in 2018. Dave Manning asked is organiser. Date set for 18,19,20 May. 19 people going. Car pool in own cars.

4.8.2 China 11th May to 23nd May 2019, 12 nights, 13 days: Approx Cost $3500. Draft itinerary has been determined. Tony Law is organising. Roberto Soria is our in-house contact at the Chinese observatories. China Odyssey tours are possible tour leaders, Breakfast and lunches are included. 22 people have registered their interest.

4.8.3 JPL July 2021 Estimate $4000 needs to be increased. Will promote and ask interested members to start saving in our “trip” bank account. Could be combined with a Space X launch. On going item .

4.9 Fundraising updates

Bunnings fundraiser was held on Saturday 24 Feb 2018. Raffle could not be run. Hard work by the limited number of members that volunteered for the day with some having to do double shift. One member fainted due to the heat. The Bunnings event raised over $1580 for club funds.

4.10 Website, Facebook

4.11 Publicity – Barry Moore

4.11.1 Publicity for the next forum (Mar 19th ) has been sent to Advertiser and Chronicle “what’s on” pages.

4.11.2 Secretary will forward minutes as soon as they are approved by committee to Roger (webmaster) for member’s perusal. On going item

4.11.3 Mail box was has been checked each week

4.12 Correspondence received.

PO box 17 mail box invoice for $127

Secondary cheque account bank statement and main cheque account statement on Tues 6th March.

4.13 Succession planning

Nominations for VP, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Officer have been received. Two general committee positions and the Presidents position are still un-nominated for the 2018 AGM. Tony is stepping down as President but could continue on the committee in a general position. Carol will be stepping down. All committee members to talk to possible members about positions. On going item.

5. NEW BUSINESS - nil

6. NEXT COMMITTEE MEETING: wed 4 Apr 2018 at Wivenhoe Village Clubhouse, Hollyhock Avenue, Kirkham. New attendees should note my number should they need “homing in” when arriving, 0408259001 (Mike Nicholas.)

7. CLOSE OF MEETING 9:18

Minutes Taken By Barry Moore 5 Mar 2018

Written by Secretary Barry Moore on 12/3/2018, updated 23/3/2018

 

 

 mas logo black on clear 300px

MACARTHUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

 

Minutes of the MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Held at 30 King Rd, Ingleburn

 

PO Box 17 MINTO NSW 2566

Monday 5th February 2018 at 7.30pm

 

Attending: Tony Law, Carol McVeigh, Henry Swierk, Stewart Grainger, Barry Moore, Mike Nicholas

Apologies: John Rombi, Richard Curley.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 OPENING OF MINUTES AND APOLOGIES: meeting opened at 7.30pm

2 ADOPTION OF MINUTES for January 2018 Proposed by Barry Moore

seconded by Tony Law, passed

 

3 BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES:

4 REGULAR BUSINESS

4.1 Treasurer’s Report: Richard Curley. Did not tender a report as he was an apology (illness)

Approximately in $ 3,800 in bank accounts and cash in hand

$21,000 in term deposit

Paypal account is now fully functional for both deposits and transfers.

Insurance annual payment is due soon

PO Box annual payment is due soon

    1. Membership: Henry Swierk

New Members: Craig Elson

Current membership: 128 members in total. 5 Hon. 3 Assoc. 120 rest.

Renewals for 2018 has been sent to all members by email.

    1. Merchandise: Stewart Grainger – receipts books are currently being checked. Sales will be declared in next month’s minutes.

      1. Red light torches have been purchased for evaluation by Tony Law. Tony demonstrated torch and committee approved purchase of more torches for sale to members.

      2. 21 X “2018 astronomy” books have arrived and been issued. Five more astronomy 2018 are required and on order. All but a few have been distributed to those that were ordered.

      3. A red dot pointer has been ordered for our donated SC Telescope. Red dot finder was demonstrated to committee.

      4. The donated ETX telescope is in need of repair. Currently being evaluated by Tasco.

    1. General Business

      1. This month’s forum is Feb 19, 2018 Maria Cunningham (UNSW) Title is “Stars and the Stuff Between Them”.

      2. Next month’s forum Mar 19 Tamara Davis

      3. Allen Williams has produced a flyer for consideration by committee. It was previously tabled. Carol has distributed electronic copies for comment and modifications. Committee was in agreement for the concept. Changes where discussed and given to Carol with the required changes to be passed on to Allen.

4.5 The Forest

Last: 13/14 Jan - cloudy

Next: 16/17 Feb, then16/17 March

4.6 Stargard

Last: 18 Jan - cloudy

Next : 10 Feb, then 10 March

4.7 Public Outreach

4.7.1 Total Lunar eclipse Jan 31 ... was to be held at the Oaks, Clouded out

4.7.2 Astronomy in the Gardens at MT Annan Botanical Gardens Fri Feb 23. Help needed.

4.7.3 Bunnings BBQ at Narellan all day from 7am Sat Feb 24. Help needed.

4.7.4 Rebecca Hay, 1st Camden Scouts has requested a visit for 30 scouts. Date advised and approved is 7.30pm March 1st at The Oaks on a (Thursday night). Approved . Help needed

4.7.5 Carnes Hill Library (Jessica Bruce) Requesting assistance for an event 12 April 2018. They need a couple of people for 1.5 - 2 hrs. Approved.

4.7.6

a) MDSI (Caitlin Manganaro Macarthur Heights Community Development Facilitator – Macarthur Diversity Services Initiative) sent an email requesting joint DOMES events on Sat 28April, Sat 26 May, Sat 21 July and Sat 15 Sept 2018. They are also looking into a public toilet being left open behind the sales office. July 21 will be called “Mars Night”

 

b) Note from Caitlin: Sustainable living & Natural Environment day. It is now going to be held on the Saturday 14th of April in Macarthur Heights. We would love if anyone from the society were able to attend and have a little stall to discuss astronomy, the society and possibly feature the solar telescopes that you mentioned. Would also be a great opportunity to have a tin for donations etc.

4.7.7 Camden Library public night for Wed 20 June 2018, also Photographers of the month New photos for displays are needed due to deterioration, submit to Tony Law by June 1 deadline for printing. Chris Malikoff to be approached to see if he can print and what his cost would be to do this. Border to be simpler than previous photos. Members to submit photographs ASAP. Approved. Help needed.

4.7.8 Cobbity Scout Hall: Joey Scouts Mob (via Kerry Wallace) requested for astronomy night. Approved for Mon 25th June. Approved. Help needed.

4.7.9 We received an invite from Marc Noakes to attend the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) EXPO meeting for Tues June 26th 2018. Will be held in daytime at Tahmoor public school. What is required is a 30min explanation of a possible lesson that teachers could use with public school students. 50 teachers have already registered to attend. Committee discussed and approved. Help needed.

Mike Nicholas is pursuing Bargo, Picton and Tahmoor schools through Marc Oakes as the liaison person.

4.7.10 Broughton Anglican College has expressed an interest for assistance in a astrophotography project with a student. On going

4.7.11 16 July 2018 Macarthur Astronomy Forum “Special Event” Amy Shira Teitel – more info to be announced.

 

4.7.12 National Science week 2018 (11-19 August) – Monday 20 August, our normal monthly Forum as possible time for a “Public Event” with Ed Kruzins. We need to raise $1500 to run these events. Jai Rowell has been contacted for an appointment re funding.

4.8 Members’ Trips

4.8.1 Parkes visit. John Sarkissian from Parkes observatory has suggested a Macastro trip in 2018. Dave Manning asked to organise. Date set for 18,19,20 May. Register your interest.

4.8.2 China 11th May to 23nd May 2019, 12 nights, 13 days: Approx Cost $3500. Draft itinerary has been determined. Tony Law is organising. Roberto Soria is our in-house contact at the Chinese observatories. Register your interest.

4.8.3 JPL July 2021 Estimate $4000 each needed. Will promote and ask interested members to start saving in our “trip” bank account. Could be combined with a Space X launch. On going item .

4.9 Fundraising

Bunnings fundraiser will be a BBQ on Saturday 24 Feb 2018. Raffle to be held. Prizes, 1st Telescope (from Carol McVeigh); 2nd Astronomy 2018; 3rd OneGiantLeap Goodies

Draft members roster will be circulated at next Forum. 1200 sausages ordered and bread rolls. Help is urgently needed.

4.10 Website, Facebook

Any errors noticed? Please pass on to Roger Powell for attention.

Newsletter will now be placed on the website and emailed from Tony directly as there is a problem with BULK emailing from website.

4.11 Publicity – Barry Moore

4.11.1 Publicity for the next forum (Feb 19th) has been sent to Advertiser and Chronicle “what’s on” pages. (Note Advertiser got wrong date 13th instead of 19th ... correct date has been sent again and should be correct in the paper prior to the event.

4.11.2 Secretary will forward minutes as soon as they are approved by committee to Roger (webmaster) for member’s perusal. On going item

4.11.3 Mail box was has been checked each week – no mail has been received in the mail box.

4.12 Correspondence received. Nil

4.13 Succession planning – all committee members are to look at a shadow person to assist in their absence. Tony (President) and Richard (Treasurer) have indicated they will not be standing at the 2018 AGM. Tony is stepping down as President and has indicated he wishes to continue on the committee. None of the current committee members are willing to take that role at that point in time either. A few possible candidates have been discussed.

All Committee members to talk to possible members about committee. On going item.

5. NEW BUSINESS - nil

6. NEXT COMMITTEE MEETING: Mon 5 Mar 2018 at 33 Hickson Circuit Harrington Park

7. CLOSE OF MEETING ___9.40pm__

Minutes Taken By Barry Moore 5 Feb 2018

Written by Secretary – Barry Moore 9/2/2018

 

 

 

PO Box 17 MINTO NSW 2566

 

 

MACARTHUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

 

Minutes of the MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Held at 9 Herborn Place Minto 2566

 

Monday 8th January 2018 at 7.30pm

 

Attending: Tony Law, Carol McVeigh, Henry Swierk, Stewart Grainger, Barry Moore, John Rombi, Richard Curley,

Apologies: Mike Nicholas

 

 

 

 

 


1 OPENING OF MINUTES AND APOLOGIES:
meeting opened at 7.30pm

2 ADOPTION OF MINUTES for December 2017 Proposed by Barry Moore

seconded by Richard Curley

 

3 BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES:

 

4 REGULAR BUSINESS

 

4.1 Treasurer’s Report: Richard Curley

December Report from Richard Curley was tabled

Proposed by Richard Curley Seconded by Tony Law

Approximately in $ 3800 in bank accounts and cash in hand

$21,000 in term deposit.

The “Primary user for Paypal account” has been frozen due to paperwork issues. Identity “points” need to be forwarded to Richard so he can send them to Paypal. Attention of Stewart and Richard.

Refund cheque for $27 associate membership to be sent to Jackie Slaviero.

4.2 Membership: Henry Swierk

New Members: Jackie Slaviero (associate membership for “One Giant Leap”)

Current membership: 127 members in total.

Craig Elsom application just received

Renewals for 2018 will be sent soon. No changes to membership costs

4.3 Merchandise: Stewart Grainger

Merchandise Sales

Cash $100 EFT $30 Donations $19.50

Total $ 149.50

4.3.1 Red light torches have been purchased for evaluation by Tony Law. Not arrived yet

4.3.2 21 X “2018 astronomy” books have arrived and been issued. Five more astronomy 2018 are required and on order.

4.3.3 A red dot pointer has been ordered for our donated SC Telescope.

4.4 General Business

4.4.1 This month’s forum is Jan 15, 2018 Marnie Ogg, Title is PLANETARY ILLUMINATIONS, discussing light pollution mitigation and Dark Sky Park.

4.4.2 Next months forum Feb 19 Maria Cunningham (UNSW)

4.4.3 Allen Williams has produced a flyer for consideration by committee. It was previously tabled Carol has distributed electronic copies for comment and modifications. Committee was in agreement for the concept. Committee to check and send Carol any possible required changes.

 

4.5 The Forest

Last: 15/16 Dec – Cloudy Nights

Next: 12/13 Jan

 

4.6 Stargard

Last: 9 Dec – Cancelled due to cloud

Next : 20 Jan

 

4.7 Public Outreach

 

4.7.1 Total Lunar eclipse Jan 31 from 8.00pm (totality best at 00:30 1 feb) proposal for telescopes and other observing. Seven people are willing to assist. Tony will seek a possible venue at Macarthur Heights “Star park”. Barry to seek a possible alternative with Menangle Steam Museum

 

4.7.2 Carnes Hill Library (Jessica Bruce) Requesting assistance for an event 12 April 2018. They need a couple of people for 1.5 - 2 hrs. On going.

 

4.7.3 Rebecca Hay, 1st Camden Scouts has requested a visit for 30 scouts. Date advised and approved is 7.30pm March 1st at The Oaks on a (Thursday night).

 

4.7.4 MDSI (Caitlin Manganaro Macarthur Heights Community Development Facilitator – Macarthur Diversity Services Initiative) sent an email requesting joint DOMES events on 28April, 26 May, 21 July and 15 Sept 2018. They are also looking into a public toilet being left open behind the sales office. On Going.

 

4.7.5 Camden Library public night for 20 June 2018, also Photographers of the month New photos for displays are needed due to deterioration, submit to Tony Law by June 1 deadline for printing. Chris Malikoff to be approached to see if he can print and what his cost would be to do this. Border to be simpler than previous photos. Members to submit photographs ASAP.

 

4.7.6 We received an invite from Marc Noakes to attend the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) EXPO meeting for June 26th 2018. Discussion based on email to Macastro.

Broughton Anglican College has expressed an interest for assistance in a astrophotography project with a student.

Mike Nicholas will pursue Bargo, Picton and Tahmoor schools through Marc Oakes.

 

4.7.7 National Science week 2018 (11-19 August) – proposing Monday 20 August as possible time for a “Public Event”. Possible special event in July as well at which we might be able to invite Ed Kruzins. We need to raise $3000 to run these events. Jai Rowell has been contacted for an appointment re funding.

 

 

4.8 Members’ Trips

4.8.1 Parkes visit. John Sarkissian from Parkes observatory has suggested a Macastro trip in 2018. Dave Manning asked to organise. On going item.

 

4.8.2 China April 2019: Costs and details to be determined. Tony Law has offered to organise. Roberto Soria has offered to be our in house contact at the Chinese observatories.

 

4.8.3 JPL July 2021 Estimate $4000 each needed. Will promote and ask interested members to start saving in our “trip” bank account. Could be combined with a Space X launch. On going item

 

4.9 Fundraising

Bunnings fundraiser will be a BBQ on Saturday 24 Feb 2018. Raffle to be held. Prizes, 1st Telescope (from Carol McVeigh); 2nd Astronomy 2018; 3rd OneGiantLeap Goodies

Draft members roster will be circulated at next Forum. Key members will need to be trained by Bunnings for the BBQ usage and compliance with Health and Safety. On going item

 

4.10 Website, Facebook

Any errors noticed? Please pass on to Roger Powell for attention.

Newsletter will now be placed on the website and emailed from Tony directly as there is a problem with BULK emailing from website.

 

4.11 Publicity – Barry Moore

4.11.1 Publicity for next forum (Jan 15th) has been sent to Advertiser and Chronicle “whats on” pages.

4.11.2 Secretary will forward minutes as soon as they are approved by committee to Roger (webmaster) for member’s perusal. On going item

4.11.3 Mail box was has been checked each week – no mail has been received in the mail box.

 

4.12 Correspondence received. Nil

 

4.13 Succession planning – all committee members are to look at a shadow person to assist in their absence. Tony (President) and Richard (Treasurer) have indicated they will not be standing at the 2018 AGM. Tony is stepping down as President and has indicated he wishes to continue on the committee. None of the current committee members are willing to take that role at that point in time either. A few possible candidates have been discussed.

All Committee members to talk to possible members about committee. On going item.

 

5. NEW BUSINESS - nil

6. NEXT COMMITTEE MEETING: Mon 5 Feb 2018 at Henry’s 30 King Rd, Ingleburn

7. CLOSE OF MEETING 9:31pm

Minutes Taken By Barry Moore 8 Jan 2018

Written by Secretary – Barry Moore 8/1/2018

 

 

Subscribe to our newsletter:

...for periodic reminders on up-coming events and news at MAS