We welcome new members into our friendly Society. Ownership of optical equipment is not essential. All you need is an enquiring mind and a love of the night sky.
We have members who are experienced and we have members who are just starting out in astronomy; also many in between.
If you are interested in astronomy and you are considering joining the Society, please read the following details about membership:
Annual Membership Renewal Cycle
|Mid January:||Membership renewal reminders are initially sent out.|
|Last day of February:||End of MAS financial year.|
|1st March:||Membership renewals overdue.|
|30th April:||Last opportunity to rejoin without having to pay the rejoining fee.|
|1st May:||Non-renewed memberships expunged.|
The MAS annual membership period begins on 1st March and expires on the last day of February.
Commencing with the 2017-18 financial year, new members joining during the course of the year will no longer be required to pay the full annual amount. The initial annual membership fee for new members will be costed on a 'pro-rata' monthly basis, plus the joining fee.
Payment Options: Renewals and New Memberships
|1.||To the MAS Treasurer at the monthly Macarthur Astronomy Forum, by cash, cheque, Visa or Mastercard.|
|4.||Post cheque to: Macarthur Astronomical Society, PO Box 17, Minto, NSW 2566.|
When paying electronically or by post please ensure that your name is identified.
Members renewing need not submit a Membership Application form with their renewal payment - but please advise us if any of your contact details have changed. When paying via PayPal, please ensure your name is identified.
When paying via PayPal please avoid marking the payment as a "donation" because PayPal appear to delay such transactions.
2017-2018 Annual Membership Fees: Renewals Only
All fees are in Australian dollars and are non-refundable.
|Membership Grade (Members)||Annual Renewable Membership Fee|
|Pensioner/Senior Card Membership||$36.00|
|Associate Membership (12 months)||$00.00|
|Honorary Membership (Life)||$00.00|
Membership renewals are due before 1st March annually.
2017-18 Annual Membership Fees: New Members
All fees are in Australian dollars and are non-refundable.
|Membership Grade (New Members)||
|Initial Annual Fee per Membership Grade - Based on Joining Month|
|Joining Fee to be added||$15.00 pa||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00||$15.00|
For example, a person seeking to join as a full member from August 2017 will pay $28.00 + $15.00 = $43.00.
New Membership Applications
New members are politely requested to note:
- The scheduled Joining Fee must be included with your membership payment.
- You will later be required to submit a membership application form.
- If applying for family membership, please provide a separate e-mail address for each person (if possible).
- Membership is subject to formal acceptance by the Management Committee.
Your membership will be proposed to the Management Committee. Following this, you will be advised if your membership has been accepted. Your membership commences at the date of formal acceptance.
You are invited to attend our monthly meetings whilst waiting for membership approval.
A discounted membership fee is available for families. Eligibility for family membership is limited to parents and their immediate children under the age of eighteen years who are students. Voting rights are limited to two adults.
Student & Pensioner Memberships
Students must be under the age of 18 years or studying full-time at university or college. Voting rights are restricted to those aged eighteen or above.
To be eligible for Pensioner membership you are required to hold an Australian Centrelink card or a NSW Seniors card.
Membership benefits and privileges
- Extended website access.
- Private Messaging (PM) facility, to directly contact other members and receive messages from the President.
- Access to members with a wealth of expertise in various aspects of amateur astronomy.
- Advice on purchasing a telescope, mount, eyepieces and other accessories.
- Advice on setting up your observing equipment.
- Advice on using your equipment.
- Advice on maintaining your equipment.
- Advice on upgrading your equipment.
- Purchase of MAS merchandise at membership prices.
- Regular access to monthly meetings.
- Regular guest speakers, including elite professional astronomers and experienced amateurs.
- Access to members observing field nights at our two dark sky sites.
- Access to our Stargard observing site at no additional charge.
- Low cost entry to our Forest observing site.
- One free weekend per financial year at The Forest dark sky observing site.
- Telescope 'workshop' evenings.
- The Society's NSW Police registration, negating the need for individual registration of a laser pointer with the Police for astronomical use.
- Annual membership identity card.
- Name tag to display at meetings.
- Access to public observing nights without the need to book.
- Members who renew membership on time avoid paying another joining fee.
- Membership fee discounts for families, students and pensioners.
- Free display of members astronomical images, on website, at exhibitions and/or on collaborative DVD.
- Sharing your common interest in astronomy with others.
- Trade discounts at Jaycar electronics stores.
Please note the MAS mail box is generally cleared every 7-10 days.
- Submission of membership forms.
- Submissions of membership fees.
- Eligibility for membership.
- Benefits of membership.
- Lack of response to your application within 21 days.
- Membership privileges prior to committee acceptance of applications.
MAS contact with members between meetings is predominantly based on the website, the Personal Message (PM) system, the MAS Facebook page and e-mail. We try to avoid using the postal system.
If you feel unable to join MAS but would like to make a donation towards the Society's public outreach costs, thank you very much.
You may donate using the methods detailed elsewhere, including direct transfer, Paypal, cheque or credit cards.
At our monthly Forum meetings and public observing nights, we encourage visiting non-members to make a gold coin donation into our black box.